Roxana V. Muro is a knowledgeable immigration attorney with years of experience. Contact the Law Offices of Roxana V. Muro at 909-297-1860 with any immigration issues you may have.

What is a Permanent Labor Certification?

Certain professionals can be granted a permanent labor certification, which allows them to live and work permanently in the United States. There is roughly 140,000 permanent labor certification granted per year in the United States.

Permanent labor certification is granted to professions in which:

  • There are insufficiently available, qualified, and willing U.S. workers to fill the position being offered at the prevailing wage
  • Hiring a foreign worker will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers

It many cases it is possible for a permanent labor certification holder to bring their or children with them to the United States.

How do I qualify for a Permanent Labor Certification?

Permanent Labor certifications are granted based on a preference system. Professions that have a higher preference will be granted permanent labor certifications. The preferences are:

  1. First preference: Reserved for persons of extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, and outstanding professors researchers, or executives and managers
  2. Second preference: Reserved for Professions requiring advanced degrees
  3. Third preference: Reserved for professionals, skilled workers, and unskilled workers. There is a long backlog for this preference, and it can require extra steps to obtain a permanent labor certification
  4. Fourth preference: Reserved for special immigrants which includes, religious workers, retired employees of international organizations, and possibly other immigrant classes
  5. Fourth preference: Reserved for business investors who invest $1 million in a commercial enterprise that employs at least ten full times U.S. workers

As a work-based visa, an employer must file for the permanent labor certification on behalf of the employee. The employer does this by filing a Form I-140 petition for the alien worker. The employer must show:

  • An ability to pay the offered wage to the employee

Hire an Attorney Today!

If you believe you are eligible for permanent labor certification, hiring an experienced and knowledgeable immigration attorney to assist, you will give you the best chance of succeeding with your visa application. If you are interested in a permanent labor certification or have any other immigration-related issues, contact the law offices of Roxana V. Muro at 909-297-1860. You can’t afford NOT to.

We look forward to speaking with you about your case.


If you have any questions, please contact us.

Contact Us - Temp
We just need a brief description of your case. You can discuss all of the details when you speak with someone from our team.